Monday, November 26, 2012

He/She/They

    A couple days ago I was asked a very interesting question that I have not been asked before.  I've only been on a Gender-queer exploration of my body now for over a year, and the good thing is that it's been a blast.  Something that has just let me launch myself up and over the moon.  In a sense it's the most fulfilling thing I have done in the longest of times.  Which is just tops.  Anyway, you are probably wanting me to elaborate on the question.
  "So, since you go by He, She, and They pronouns.  Does that means you switch it up every so often?"  In a sense I can understand how someone would think that.  Which, I honestly would think the same thing and even am intrigued by that question myself.  So... the main question I have is "How do I actually control the pronouns and how do I even further let them know it's okay to say any of them?"  My pronouns are in a sense just He/She pronouns to folks.  I have yet to have a single person go to say they.  Only because the world is cruel and people assume pronouns.  We all know this in the Trans* community.  It's just... a horrid common occurrence.  I know you agree with me!
    They have assumed my pronouns because my presentation is usually either Masculine and Feminine most of the time.  I'm still working on the Gender-queer presentation.  I've walked around with full make up and gorgeous hair, girly clothes and no titties.  I have always walked around with a full bread, make up, male clothes and tits in.  In that sense though, I love the "Shock Factor" of the people who look at you and go "Wow, you are gorgeous."  Then, they peer at you as though they cannot find your tits and want to know if you are boy or girl (this is apparently a huge turn on for many folks) OR you get the people who stray from you because the fact you have upset the gender norms.
    So, if I look "Male" or "Female" I get that assumption put on me.  So,  if you do not know someone preferred Pronoun you assume it... correct?  NO!  You either resort to "They" as a back up or you ask them their preferred Pronoun.  The latter of the two is always nice to have.
    The main question though is simply "How do you honestly get a they?"  Which, I have found that I either do not divulge my Preferred Pronoun (PP) or I tell that person I would love to go by "They".  Other than that.  Most people know me as "He" or "She" because of my presentation or because I have just started going to "They" over the past year.  Also, tomorrow is the anniversary of going by He/She/They.  November 28, 2012 will make a year! HUZZAH!
     When it comes to the main question of the entire blog.  I really cannot put in words how I do it.  I just accept what people say and move on.  If they choose either of the options I present that is fine, because that is just how I like it.  I'm literally inclusion in human form!

~Tegan Rowan Stryker

P.S. "Ghost" by Dragonette was playing during the entire blog writing process on repeat.  That song = AMAZING.

1 comment: