Sunday, September 8, 2013

Treating Youself Pretty: Part I

Dear Reader,

     Today, I am writing you as many months have changed since I last wrote to you.  Many things about myself have changed as well as I have more experiences to write about.  I've come to understand more about myself in a sense that I am more accepted my society more than I use to be.  A few things I have noticed at the beginning where:

  • The second glances to check my privilege
  • The nervousness of folks around me
  • The avoidance from people
  • The slurs
  • The checking of ones privilege


    The number of those occurrences have drastically changed.  I haven't been questioned in my gender in a long time.  Though, we all know that any of those above never really phased me.  It's just interesting that they have faded away and really now I have a new set of things in which I get to indulge in.

  • People smile at me at random times
  • The amount of compliments I get daily is astounding
  • Men/Woman find me attractive and go as far to ask for my number
  • My privilege isn't check anymore
  • I have become happier in the past few months

  I never really understood or could even explain how when you fit into the binary that people will treat you differently.  Not a bad differently but a difference one has never enjoyed.  I've come to understand that I get treated different then the "Male" self had been treated.  The respect I get from people is different.  It's more or less a chivalrous respect.  In my presence I find men try to boast their masculinity in a sense they want me to find them attractive.  Like an Alpha Male complex I have come to realise exist.   As well as Women, let me into their inner circle of friendship.  I have found that women are more apt to befriend me because they realise I am female.  This is so true at work.  I've noticed that I have gone from "That Trans* person" to just "Tegan".  As though people have washed from their minds the original person I had been.  Which, it may seem little to them.  It's a refresher for me.

   From all of this has come a bigger understanding of the society we live in and how it all works.  I truly can say that I have a deeper respect and understanding for the genders when I have transverse over both binaries.  I know I don't really fit into either binary box of "Male" or "Female" but I think I have a good mix of it.  Gender is fluid and I know I live that ideal everyday.  In some sense we find ourselves a mix of both genders.

   I never really wanted to fix into a box.  I've honestly just wanted to be "Stealth" for a tiny time to just understand what it was like to be "Stealth" as well as to know that I was able to best that beast.  Yet, I feel more accomplished in my mission than I thought I would become.  Though, from this experience I've grown happier, healthier, and just more excited about living.  Many people feel they do not fit society norms.  I know for myself this has always been true.  People are in the box and I'm just free falling off a cliff into another adventure.

   Dating too has become something in which I didn't expect a change but it has.  When it comes to the majority of the relationships I have held.  I had to take the initiative because I was portrayed or seen by my partner as "Male" or "Alpha".  Which, I can see with being who I am.  I always feel it is important to take responsibility because majority of the time.  No one else will.  I rather don't mind it, but once in a while I want to know what it is like to be the "Female".  I have gotten this treatment as of late and it's exciting.   It's nice that men and women physically render me as "Female" in their heads and with that: comes a different type of interaction then the one I once had gained from them.

   People who learn that I am trans*.  They find it hard to grasp.  I can recall earlier this week a women at work needed my assistance.  I divulged to her that I had changed my name from William to Tegan.  She looked right at me and her eyes got big "Really?  You are kidding me?"  I wasn't at all drawn back by it because I am very open about my identity and those who ask and want to know.  I let it known to them.  It's part of my idea of being who I want to be. Which is going to be the main point of "Treating Yourself Pretty: Part II".


Thanks,
    Tegan Rowan Stryker

No comments:

Post a Comment