Monday, August 20, 2012

Trans* Competency

One thing I have learned in the past three weeks is that not many people are very educated on Trans* issues or even how to address a Trans* person.  I recently started a new job at Chipotle, which the job itself has been COMPLETELY amazing.  Majority of the people I actually work with are infact of the LGBTQ community.  If they are not part of it, they are normally on the "Allies" side of the spectrum themselves.  Sweethearts, they really are.
    Only, they really don't know how to address me as a person to be honest.  First off, they all assumed me Male.  Which, is quite alright with me (being the Gender-queer I am).  I am probably a good starting point for them as I do not get offended when I am mis-pronouned.  As I actually like to be called both.  Does not make me flinch. I am just really sad that I was not given "They" until they found what I wanted to go by.
    Sadly, we do not educate people in public school system on human decency it seems.  The ability to look at a person and not observe them to be nothing more than themselves, and have the kindness to not associate who they look like to who they actually are.  I wish I had more people approach me like a co-worker actually did and ask me "When it comes to Pronouns, which do you prefer?"  The single fact that this was an actual event in my life, gave me a single hope that in this day and age people actually have been learning how to be inclusive to those on the Trans* Spectrum.  Why in this 20th Century when Trans* Visibility is visible do we not include these people into basic human rights?
     I've been fighting for identity since I was 15, since then I have had to educate so many people on how to address a person.  As assuming pronouns is absolutely rude.  I mean, we are not that complicated as people.  Maybe a few extra issues that come with us, but for the most part.  I haven't seen much difference between a CIS-gendered person and a Trans* person.  It's quite hilarious how much people blow up gender identity when in retrospect.  It's a common feat we all go through Male or Female, CIS or Trans*.  Let's not forget to be people and work towards being inclusive for everyone in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment